Master Scholarships, United Nations University Institute for Sustainability and Peace, Japan
The programme addresses pressing global issues of sustainability, climate change, development, peacebuilding, and human rights through an innovative interdisciplinary approach that integrates the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. The programme is intended for recent graduates, professionals, and practitioners, offering the unique opportunity to study at a global university within the framework of the United Nations. It provides students with the knowledge and skills to make important contributions towards solving global issues, whether through employment by UN agencies, other international organizations, governments, civil society, or the private sector.
The programme is practically oriented, user-focused, and of the highest academic quality. It offers opportunities to gain practical experience through internships or field research with a UN agency or other international organization. The programme builds on the strong record of the United Nations University (UNU) in training and capacity development, and utilizes the extensive network of scholars and academic institutions participating in UNU research.
Students who earn at least 30 credits, successfully complete a master’s thesis, and pass the final examination will receive a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Sustainability, Development, and Peace. The standard period of study is two years; the programme starts in September, with students expected to complete all the requirements by July in the second academic year after enrolment.
UNU-ISP welcomes applicants with:
- A keen interest in the pressing global issues on the UN agenda, and in particular those of sustainability, development, and peace.
- The intention to proactively apply academic research findings to policymaking.
- A strong desire to contribute to the solving of problems concerning global environment, peace, and development, through an interdisciplinary approach.
Applicants for the Master of Science in Sustainability, Development, and Peace are required to have met the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. A completed bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognised university or institution of higher education
Those who expect to graduate and have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent conferred before enrolment may also apply.
2. A particular interest and career aspiration in at least one of the following thematic areas:
- Global Change and Sustainability
- Peace and Security
- International Cooperation and Development
3. English language proficiency
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-ISP are:
- 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT)
- 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (iBT)
- 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format
Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose first language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
UNU-ISP requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted).
- TOEFL: Please order an official score report using an institution code 6991. For more information on TOEFL, please visit official website.
- IELTS: Please request that an official report be sent directly to UNU-ISP. For more information on IELTS, please visit official website.
The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship.
The JFUNU scholarship covers the full tuition fees, and provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
*150,000 JPY is the average monthly living cost for an international student without dependents in Tokyo, although this amount may vary depending on the lifestyle of the student.
Please note that the JFUNU scholarship is highly competitive and offered to a very small number of students who are granted admission to UNU-ISP. Thus, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for other funding opportunities from the government of their own country, private foundations, or international funding agencies.
Application deadline for September 2012 entry is Monday, 30 April 2012.
Your official application must be made online, using UN-CECAR online application portal. You will need to create a user account to submit your applications. The online form can be saved and returned to at any time before submitting.
Selection and Announcement of Results
After the application deadline, the process of reviewing applications and making admission decisions will take approximately 6-8 weeks. Please do not contact the Admissions Office until at least 8 weeks have elapsed to check on application status.
UNU-ISP may at any time require applicants to provide verification of the information and documents submitted as part of their application and/or additional information including, but not limited to, an interview.
- The successful applicants will be notified by emailto the address provided on Application Form.Necessary documents for the admission procedure will be sent together with a letter of acceptance. Successful applicants must submit a medical certificate. Only successful applicants who submit the necessary documents for the entrance procedure and transfer 50% of the tuition fees for the first academic year (5,000 USD, non-refundable) within 10 UNU working days after result announcement will be admitted to the programme. The matriculation date (early September 2012) cannot be extended, regardless of any special circumstances on the part of the student.
- The unsuccessful applicants will be notified by e-mail to the address provided on Application Form. Admissions Office does not provide individual feedback on unsuccessful applications.
E-mail will be the primary method of contact. Therefore, it is essential that applicants provide a valid e-mail address in the Application Form and that he/she regularly checks his/her e-mail. Please ensure that our e-mails are not filtered into spam or junk folder. UNU-ISP will not be held responsible for unread e-mail communication.
Please do not call the Admissions Office regarding application status or admission decisions as we will not release them by phone.
- All application forms must be typed and filled in English. No handwritten or incomplete application documents will be considered.
- All materials and documents submitted as part of an application become the property of UNU-ISP and cannot be returned.
- If any falsification is discovered in any of the documents presented for application, admission will be revoked.
- Unsuccessful applicants of previous years who reapply for admission must submit a completely new set of application documents, including letters of reference. No previous application materials will act as supporting resource.
- Those who wish to withdraw from the application process should email the Admissions Office at email@example.com indicating “MSc Application Withdrawal” in the subject line. Please use the same email address you provided on your Application Form.
For more information, please visit official website.
608 total views, 1 views today
Mungkin Anda Tertarik
Demikian kami sampaikan tentang Master Scholarships, United Nations University Institute for Sustainability and Peace, Japan semoga informasi tentang Master Scholarships, United Nations University Institute for Sustainability and Peace, Japan ini bermanfaat.