[Germany] PhD Student Fellowship in Natural Sciences at Friedrich Schiller University
The Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) is funded by the German Excellence Initiative. It conceptionally combines different research areas (microbial communities, interactions with plant, animal and human hosts and environmental interactions) to a comprehensive picture of microbial communication (www.jsmc.uni-jena.de). JSMC is an ambitious Graduate School comprising over 180 PhD students who are educated in a structured, interdisciplinary training program based on top-level fundamental research. Five faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, six non-university research institutions as well as thirteen partner companies are participating in this cutting edge research and training program that includes an innovative PhD program, career development and intensive sociocultural care. Three embedded existing Research Training Groups as well as twelve other cooperative research projects are engaged to incorporate novel research areas to achieve a complete view of microbial communication.
The Graduate School of Excellence `JSMC` invites applications for a
PhD Student Fellowship (Ref.No. JSMC-38/2010) on the topic `Integrated model of water and nutrient uptake by roots in the rhizosphere`
Soil-plant-microorganisms interactions have profound impacts on rhizosphere processes such as microbial activities, water distribution, and nutrient and water uptake by plant roots. Common models of water and nutrient uptake by roots are based on brute-force averaging approaches, assuming that the rhizosphere has the same properties as the bulk soil. The project will provide a holistic approach to describe interactions between rhizosphere transport properties and plant and microbial communities at the pore scale.
1. a Master`s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences (e.g., Earth Sciences, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, etc.). Candidates about to earn their degree are welcome to apply.
2. high motivation and interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of JSMC
3. creativity and interest to shape your own thesis project
4. an integrative and cooperative personality
5. very good communication skills in English (instruction language at JSMC)
1. a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research conditions
2. a PhD stipend paid for 3 years according to the rules of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as well as generous research funding
3. a comprehensive mentoring program with efficient supervision by a team of supervisors
4. courses in novel technologies and soft skills
5. Jena – the German City of Science 2008: a young and lively city with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centres of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University
Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer.
The application procedure is handled online exclusively via the JSMC website: www.jsmc.uni-jena.de
To apply, please acquaint yourself with the vacant PhD projects and the application process described on this website. Applications can only be considered upon receipt of the completed `Statement of Interest` form, submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadlines listed below.
Selected applicants will be invited to a JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, in September 2010. Awarding decisions will be made shortly thereafter, allowing for an immediate start of the PhD projects.
Application deadlines (i.e. deadline for submission of the completed `Statement of Interest` form):
For applicants who will require visa to attend the recruitment meeting in September: Deadline July 5, 2010
For applicants who will not require a visa: Deadline July 26, 2010
(Please note: applications from non-EU-national can only be considered if attendance at the recruitment meeting is possible with 2 weeks prior notice. Please provide an explanatory statement)
764 total views, 1 views today
Mungkin Anda Tertarik
Demikian kami sampaikan tentang [Germany] PhD Student Fellowship in Natural Sciences at Friedrich Schiller University semoga informasi tentang [Germany] PhD Student Fellowship in Natural Sciences at Friedrich Schiller University ini bermanfaat.